Thursday 21 February 2013

Seventh Reflection

  The nurse, Hana is starting to feel uncomfortable living in a house with 3 other men. She feels something is going on and physical attraction is present. Personally, I really don’t know exactly what kind of relationship she has with the English Patient. Is it a nurse – patient relationship or something else? I always have this question at the back of my mind whenever I read through the novel. However, I also feel that her relationship with Kip is starting to look differently. Hana feels protected and safe whenever she is around him especially whenever she sleeps with him. She can sense something in herself and is starting to realize she is in love with him. Even Caravaggio suggests to her that she should leave this place and run away with Kip. Even though Kip has never experienced love from in this way but he feels that he is starting to become one of them. Throughout his life he has always felt like an outsider due to his skin colour and is now feeling more welcomed.

2 comments:

  1. I think that she loves kip, but I also wonder whether she loves the English patient

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm wondering. Is it possible that Hana isn't altruistic at all? Perhaps, because of her situation of having lost the father of her child and aborting the baby, she is punishing herself and feels she herself should die? Maybe this is like a suicidal type of behaviour because she has nothing to live for?

    ReplyDelete