Friday 8 February 2013

Second Reflection

In my novel "The English Patient" by Michael Ondaatje, I have faced lots of imagery so far. Each sentence represents a picture that starts to occur in my mind. This has enforced me to pause for a moment and try to understand the meaning behind the words. At first when I started to read the novel, I understood the depth behind its word but after I went further I realized I may need to pause for a moment and try to understand what is going on. I sometimes was confused on who is saying it who is the audience since there are no dialogues so far. Its from a omniscient point of view which allows me to face all the perspectives, but it may get difficult at times. Moreover, I learned that when reading I have to concentrate fully on the book in order understand its meaning.

4 comments:

  1. That's me too! I was so confused in the beginning, but then I found my way after. I like the book :) -Kristie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same difficulty for the point of views on my novel. The challenge of deciphering the transition between third person and omniscient makes the book more intriguing, but more difficult. Hopefully, as you progress through the book, you will require less time to hesitate or pause to think about the words between the lines. Good luck on that! I'm sure this book is very interesting with all its imagery, it might make it easier for you to fully concentrate while reading. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good that you're taking your time trying to understand the novel rather than rushing through it. As you read on, you'll get used to the different literary techniques. I hope you are enjoying your novel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you described reading as perception of images. I had similar difficulties while reading this book, too. I hope you get to fully understand the contexts so I can learn more form you.

    ReplyDelete